Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Marvelous McCormick Movie Marathon

Before I get into the details, I would like to point out the wonderful usage of alliteration in my title! :) When it comes to alliteration...I'm a fan:) Now, on to more exciting topics...

This weekend, Andrew and I had a fun weekend in! We had a movie marathon! We did take some breaks...dinner out and shopping on Friday, gym and midnight McDonald's trip on Saturday, then church and small group on Sunday. Other than those things, we spent the weekend in our apartment watching movies! It was great! If you ever have a weekend with nothing that you HAVE to do, I highly suggest a movie marathon!! It was the first weekend that I can remember that Andrew and I didn't have something to do, we were able to just sit at home, relax, enjoy each other's company, and watch movies...oh and spend time with our annoying, but very cute dog. :) In total, I watched 7 movies (Andrew watched 6 and some episodes of The Office). I have decided to give you my thoughts/reviews of them...you might want to save yourself some time by not watching a few of these:)

Overall, the weekend was fun, but none of the movies were really GREAT. There were some that weren't good, and some that were okay, but none left me with that, "Wow, that was an awesome movie" feeling. I have listed the movies below in the order that I would rank them. ENJOY!! :)

1. Matchstick Men


This is not my favorite movie in the world, but it is my favorite of those I watched this weekend. It is kind of cheesy, but it is interesting. The movie is about a con man who meets his daughter when she is 14 years old. There isn't a lot of action, but there is some. I thought it was a good watch, and I would recommend you see it!

2. Unbreakable

This movie was pretty good. Personally, I didn't see what the whole purpose of the movie was, and the ending is interesting. M. Night Shyamalan does his thing with the interesting twist and cameo appearance. Overall a pretty good movie.

4. Dick Tracy

An oldie, but a goodie. I actually never saw this movie when it came out in my childhood, but it was one of Andrew's favorites. It was cheesy, as it should be since it's based on a comic book, but it was good. It is very different from the "comic book movies" they now make. I would recommend watching this one to take a trip back to the 80s:) I would like to say that Madonna has aged well, I think she looks much better now than she does in this movie! :)

4. Dan in Real Life

This was a good movie for what it was. I'm not really a fan of these "slice of life" movies, I like there to be a purpose and definite closure. This is pretty much a single father, his girls, and how he deals with falling in love again. I probably wouldn't watch this movie again...also interesting to see Steve Carell in a more serious role.

5. Poseidon

Above I mentioned that I like a movie to have a purpose, however, this movie's purpose was a bit too narrow. The whole movie is about this group of people trying to get off of a sinking cruise ship. Once you find out if they do or not (don't want to ruin the movie), the movie is over. There isn't any what happens after, closure with the families, or anything like that. It's just over.

6. Because I Said So


This is definitely on my list of least favorite movies. I'm a big chick flick fan, so I was pretty excited about watching this one. I will admit, I moved our Netflix queue around last week so that this movie would be part of our movie marathon. After seeing it, I did regret those actions:) Pretty much, the movie doesn't really have a point...the point they are trying to make is forced. The movie is about an overbearing mother interfering in her daughter's life, but again, much of it feels forced and unnatural. Maybe there is a chemistry between the characters missing, or something...I don't know...but I'm a big fan of these cheesy, girly movies, and I did not like this one! And this is big since I enjoy movies that star Amanda Bynes, Hillary Duff, and other teeny boppers:)

7. Suburban Girl


Okay, this movie could top my list for worst movies I've seen. I thought it would be interesting to see Sarah Michelle Gellar because I haven't seen her in anything in quite some time. However, it wasn't interesting. I thought the movie was pretty boring and unbelievable. Essentially, Gellar is a struggling editor who gets in a relationship with Alec Baldwin, who is about the age of her father. Personally, I just think that it was very unrealistic...and I just wasn't a fan. Luckily, Andrew was doing a bit of work during this movie, so he didn't have to suffer through it:)

And that wraps up the Marvelous McCormick Movie Marathon review! You may disagree with some of my thoughts, and that's okay:) Just giving you my two cents.

As Veronica Corningstone would say, "Thanks for stopping by!"

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogging! I notice you were writing this when you were at school?!?!

    Best part of this post is the last line. ;)

    And yea, these movies were mostly terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Movie marathon sounds like a dream.

    ReplyDelete